2013 Hyundai Elantra Transmission - Hard Shifting Issue

I am the original owner of a well-maintained Elantra car (automatic transmission). It has recently struggled with gear shifting at low speeds, lurching and struggling to accelerate in lower gears—what some refer to as hard shifting or slipping. The yellow engine light turned on shortly after this began and remained solid. My mechanic found the diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0711, P0712, and P0713. When I reach 45 km/h, the car resumes normal operation.

I have 2 questions:

• Since this issue began, I’ve only driven to my mechanic for code reading. If the yellow light were blinking, I understand it would be unsafe to drive. With it solid, is it safe to visit 2-3 transmission repair shops for repair quotes, or should I avoid driving it?

• I live in Oakville near the Oakville/Mississauga border (L6J). Can anyone recommend a transmission shop within a half-hour drive? I’ve never dealt with a transmission issue before; aside from warranty, what else should I consider when comparing repair quotes?

Any advice is welcome.

1 Like

Reading a code does not allow the mechanic to tell you exactly what is wrong or how much it will cost to fix. It’s like getting a hint but not the entire solution. They’ll most likely explain what the code signifies in general (for example, a loose gas cap), but they may need to perform additional inspections to determine the root cause. Once they know for sure, they can tell you how much it will cost to repair it. Sometimes, for relatively basic concerns, they can provide an estimate immediately away, but this is not always the case.