2013 Tucson Engine Recall

Hey guys!

I own a 2013 Hyundai Tucson that had an engine failure a month ago. While driving on the highway, it suddenly started knocking and eventually stopped altogether. Mechanics confirmed it needs a $6000 engine replacement because of a likely rod bearing failure. Interestingly, I recalled a recent recall letter (Campaign 966) about knock sensor software for abnormal bearing noise detection.

Has anyone successfully received reimbursement from Hyundai for this issue? Some have, some haven’t, and I’m curious before I file my claim. Any tips would be appreciated! :red_car:

Hey @NinaCaldwell ,

I’m in a similar situation with my 2013 Sonata 2.4L GLS. Recently, the engine was seized because of having because of a rod bearing failure. I had the Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS) update done, but there were no warning lights or noises before it happened on March 21, 2022.

Hyundai has approved a replacement engine for my car. The dealer just informed me and provided a loaner car from a nearby rental facility. It’s a re-manufactured engine, not brand new, and they estimate it will take 6-9 weeks to complete all repairs.