Advice on Replacing Rocker Cover Valve Cover Gasket?

Hey guys,

So, last week I had a misfire issue, and I had to get a coil replaced at the shop because my OBD scanner wouldn’t connect to my '09 Accent, making it impossible for me to troubleshoot. The shop recommended replacing what they called the valve cover gasket, though the Hyundai parts site refers to it as the rocker cover gasket. They quoted me around $200 for the job, but I found the gasket on Amazon for just $20, so I’m planning to tackle it myself.

I’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos and consulted my Haynes manual for guidance. I also took a look at the service manual, but honestly, I didn’t find it very helpful. So, I’m turning to my fellow Accent owners for advice—has anyone here done this job before? Any tips or pitfalls I should watch out for?

This is my first attempt at something like this. I’ve done minor tasks on the car before, like replacing speakers, headlights, door handles, and the cabin air filter, but nothing under the hood. Needless to say, I’m feeling a bit nervous. Based on my preparation, though, I think I can handle it. Just wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on it.

Thanks a bunch!

Replacing the valve cover gasket is a manageable DIY project, especially with your level of experience and the resources you’ve consulted. Before starting, ensure you have the necessary tools and materials and clean the area around the valve cover to prevent debris from falling into the engine. Take your time, label components, and follow the steps outlined in your manual carefully. Inspect and clean other components while the valve cover is off, and remember to torque bolts to the specified values. Finally, test for leaks once everything is reassembled. With proper preparation and attention to detail, you should be able to handle the job successfully. Good luck!

Also, consider watching additional tutorials or seeking advice from online forums specific to Hyundai Accent owners for further guidance. When removing components, label them or take pictures for easier reassembly, and ensure you have a clean workspace to prevent contamination. Pay close attention to torque specifications to avoid damaging components, and don’t hesitate to ask for help if you encounter any challenges along the way. By taking a methodical approach and utilizing available resources, you’ll enhance your understanding and increase your confidence in tackling this project.

Make sure the engine has cooled down. Take off the cover, disconnecting any connected parts. Clean the surface and inspect it for any signs of damage. Install the new gasket and use sealant if necessary. Put everything back together by following the reverse order of removal steps. Tighten the bolts in a crisscross pattern to the specified torque.

General Steps:

1. Disconnect and remove any components that block access to the valve cover, such as air intake hoses, spark plug wires, or coil packs.
  2. Remove the valve cover bolts following the sequence outlined in your car’s manual. Don’t loosen them all at once.
  3. Carefully pry the valve cover loose using a plastic prying tool. Be careful not to damage the gasket mating surfaces.
  4. Remove the old valve cover gasket and clean the sealing surfaces on both the valve cover and the cylinder head using degreaser or engine cleaner.
  5. Install the new valve cover gasket , following the manufacturer’s instructions. Some gaskets may require a silicone sealant bead at specific locations.
  6. Reinstall the valve cover and tighten the bolts following the proper sequence and torque specifications as specified in your car’s manual. Overtightening can warp the cover or damage the gasket.
  7. Reconnect all the components you removed in step 1.
  8. Add fresh oil to your engine according to your car’s manual.
  9. Start the engine and check for leaks.