Brake lights not working

A kind road user let me know that my brake lights are not working. When I got home, I checked and saw that only the center brake light at the top of the rear window lights up when I press the brake pedal.

I turned on all the lights, and they all work. I then unscrewed the rear light assembly on the driver’s side and checked the top bulb, which lit up fine.

Both bulbs were replaced during the MOT in March so it would pass.

I checked the fuse diagram on the fuse board cover and in the manual but did not find a specific fuse for the brake lights.

Am I missing something obvious, or is there something else I should check?

The car is an 08 plate i10 comfort, so it’s getting a bit old.

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Hey fam, If one of your brake lights is not working properly, it could mean one of three things its either the brake light system fuse has blown, the brake light bulbs are burned out or the brake light wiring switch is broken.

1 Like

Examine the fuses and lightbulbs first. Replace any burned-out lights or blown fuses. Should that not resolve the problem, there may be a problem with the brake light switch or wiring. Check for rust or other damage to the switch and its connections. If the basic fixes do not work, you might need to replace the switch or have the wiring examined by a mechanic. Tell me if you require any additional troubleshooting assistance!

Burned-out lightbulbs. Dual filament brake lamp bulbs are found in the majority of automobiles. The money spent on hiring a mechanic to change the lights would be wasted.

Given that your center brake light works but the side brake lights do not, start by checking the bulbs on the driver’s side again, ensuring they are securely seated and properly connected. Even though they were recently replaced, it’s possible one may not be making proper contact. Next, inspect the wiring leading to the rear light assembly for any signs of damage, corrosion, or loose connections that could be causing the issue. If the bulbs and wiring appear fine, test the brake light switch near the brake pedal to ensure it is engaging correctly when the pedal is pressed. Finally, while you didn’t find a specific fuse labeled for brake lights, check all fuses related to lighting or electrical systems in your car’s fuse box as a blown fuse elsewhere could affect the brake lights. If troubleshooting these steps doesn’t resolve the issue, seeking assistance from a mechanic or auto electrician would be advisable to diagnose and repair the problem effectively.