Has anyone experienced factory-recalled engine problems with their 2015 Sonata Turbo 2.0T?

So, here’s the deal. I got the engine replaced under the recall, and everything seemed fine. Drove it gently for about a thousand miles, then took a road trip to Texas. In the heat, the check engine light came on, but the car was driving normally and getting its usual gas mileage. Next morning, though, it starts blowing out pure white smoke, no smell though. After a few minutes, the smoke stops. The next day, the check engine light turns off, but then the smoke comes back again. Car still runs fine, though. Took it to Autozone, and the OBD2 reads a bad oxygen sensor, but I’m not convinced that’s the cause of the smoke.

Now, here’s the kicker. Called two dealers, and they’re saying the car’s not under warranty anymore since it’s got 98000 miles on it. But I’ve heard on this forum and elsewhere that the new engine might have a warranty up to 120000 miles or even a lifetime warranty, depending on who you ask.

So, a couple of questions. Any thoughts on what might be causing the smoke off and on, and how can I actually find out the real warranty on my new engine? Is it for life, 120000 miles, or does it end at 100000 for the car?

By the way, this is my first time posting here. You guys are awesome! Loving this whole forum!

4 Likes

A blown head gasket can allow coolant to enter the combustion chamber, resulting in white smoke. This usually has a sweet smell, but in some cases, the smell might not be noticeable.

3 Likes

@Flippa Glad you’re enjoying this forum!

Here are the answers to your questions;

Causes of Smoke Issue

A bad oxygen sensor may not directly cause white smoke. Other potential causes include coolant leaks, blown head gasket, or engine component issues. A mechanic’s inspection is recommended for accurate diagnosis.

New Engine Warranty

Warranty coverage for the new engine may differ from the original car warranty due to the recall. Contact the manufacturer or dealership where the replacement was done with your car’s VIN for accurate details. Terms may vary, potentially offering extended or lifetime coverage.

1 Like
1 Like

True Based on the information you have provided, it is indeed possible that a blown head gasket can cause white smoke.

In some cases, the smell may not be noticeable. Have a pro inspect your car for an accurate diagnosis and repairs.

They’ll confirm if a blown head gasket is the cause of the white smoke and advise you on the next steps. Good luck!

1 Like

I would check that valve cover again, very carefully. Maybe take a clean rag/paper towel and try to wipe all around the edges of the cover. The 2.4L also would do as you described, had our valve cover gasket changed at 65K miles.

Great Tips! @EliTurner