Shocking Flex pipe repair cost!

Hello,

My daughter took her 2001 Hyundai Elantra to the dealer for an oil change yesterday. They told her she needed a $300 brake job and had a problem with something called a Flex Pipe that would cost approximately $1000 to repair. She must have been overwhelmed because she agreed to the $300 brake job but thankfully didn’t authorize the $1000 Flex Pipe repair.

Does anyone know what a Flex Pipe is and why it costs $1000? Also, $300 for a brake job? Is that normal or a rip-off?

I own a '98 Camry and never take it to the dealer—Toyota once wanted $9.00 for a 15-cent panel bulb and $65 to install it! I thought only Toyota dealers had outrageous prices. Are Hyundai dealers the same?

Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

The flex pipe cracked. It has a lot of rust.

will undoubtedly require welding and a blow torch to fix. not a task I can complete by myself.

What is the estimated number of labor hours required? Three hours? Five hours?

Altima 2.5L from 2006.

A Flex Pipe is a bellows-shaped section of exhaust pipe that absorbs vibrations and allows for engine movement. While a damaged Flex Pipe can cause exhaust leaks and noise issues, $1000 can be on the high end for the repair depending on the specific model and labor costs in your area.

A Flex Pipe is a flexible section of the exhaust system that helps reduce vibrations and allows some movement to accommodate engine motion. It can be expensive to replace, especially if the repair involves significant labor or additional parts of the exhaust system. The $1000 quote seems steep but can be within reason for a dealership due to higher labor rates and OEM part prices. As for the $300 brake job, it is somewhat standard for a dealership, including new pads and possibly resurfacing the rotors. However, prices can vary widely depending on location and the specific services performed. You might save money by getting a second opinion from a trusted independent mechanic, who may offer more competitive rates for both the brake job and the flex pipe repair.