What's the most effective method for opening a smart key fob?

So, I’m in a bit of a pickle with my 2015 Sonata smart key fob. It’s time to swap out the battery, but the manual’s instructions are about as clear as mud - it just says to ‘pry open.’ I’ve checked out some YouTube vids, but they all feature older fobs with a slot for a screwdriver. Mine doesn’t have that same setup.

Any ideas on the best way to crack open this fob without wrecking it?

Hey DolphGabbana! For your 2015 Sonata key fob, try using a thin, flat tool like a plastic spudger or a credit card edge. Gently work it into the seam and twist to pop it open. Just be careful not to use too much force to avoid damaging the fob.

I understand your frustration! Changing the battery in a 2015 Sonata smart key fob can be tricky. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you replace the battery without damaging the fob:

What You’ll Need:

• New CR2032 battery
  • Small flathead screwdriver (optional)
  • Your fingernail or a thin plastic tool (like a guitar pick)

Steps:

1. Locate the Release Button:
  • On the side of your fob, press the small button to release the metal emergency key.
  1. Separate the Fob:
  • Once the key is out, find the seam where the two halves of the fob meet.
  • Option 1 - Pry with Your Fingernail: Gently pry the two halves apart using your fingernail. The seam should separate easily.
  • Option 2 - Use a Plastic Tool: If your fingernail isn’t strong enough, use a thin plastic tool like a guitar pick. Insert it carefully along the seam and gently pry the two halves apart. Avoid using a metal tool to prevent scratching the plastic.
  • Important: Don’t force it open. If it feels very resistant, stop and double-check you’re prying at the correct seam.
  1. Replace the Battery:
  • Once the fob is open, locate the battery compartment. The old battery will be held in place by a small plastic tray.
  • Carefully pry the battery out with your fingernail or the plastic tool.
  1. Insert the New Battery:
  • Make sure the positive (+) side of the new CR2032 battery faces upwards (towards the buttons). Gently press the battery into the compartment.
  1. Snap the Fob Back Together:
  • Align the two halves of the fob and carefully snap them back together. You should hear a clicking sound when it’s secure.
  1. Test the Fob:
  • Press the lock or unlock button on the fob. If the light blinks and the buttons feel responsive, the battery replacement is successful.

Additional Tips:

• If you’re still having trouble prying the fob open, consult a Hyundai dealership service department. They can help you open it safely.
  • Dispose of the old battery responsibly. Many electronics stores and recycling centers accept used batteries.