Why does my car shake at idle but smooth out while driving?

My 2012 Elantra with 32,000 miles shakes when it’s idling, like at a red light or stop sign, and the vibration is really annoying. I took it to a Hyundai dealership, but they couldn’t find or fix the problem.

I’m thinking of trading it in for a Veloster Turbo because I’m tired of how slow the Elantra is. I know I chose it for the good gas mileage, but has anyone else had this shaking issue? Does the Veloster Turbo have the same problem?

I had a similar experience with my 2013 Elantra, where it started shaking noticeably at idle around 40,000 miles. I took it to the dealership multiple times, but they couldn’t pinpoint the issue despite checking the engine mounts, fuel injectors, and other components. It was frustrating because the shaking persisted, especially at red lights or in heavy traffic, making the driving experience less enjoyable. Eventually, I decided to trade it in for a different car due to both the shaking problem and wanting something more powerful.

As for the Veloster Turbo, it generally doesn’t have the same widespread issue of shaking at idle like some Elantras have reported. The Veloster Turbo is known for its sporty performance and quick acceleration, which should provide a noticeable upgrade in speed compared to your Elantra. Hyundai has made improvements in the engine and drivetrain technologies in newer models, including the Veloster Turbo, which typically results in smoother operation at idle. However, it’s always a good idea to test drive the specific vehicle you’re interested in to ensure it meets your expectations and doesn’t exhibit any unexpected issues. If speed and performance are priorities for you, the Veloster Turbo could be a satisfying upgrade from your Elantra while potentially resolving the shaking issue you’ve been experiencing.

Skip trading in your Elantra! The shaking at idle is likely due to common problems like spark plugs or engine mounts. Take it to a trusted mechanic, not the dealership, for a second opinion. Fix the Elantra - it’ll be cheaper and still great on gas. Then, if you crave speed, test drive the Veloster Turbo later.