Why does my car squeal when I turn the steering wheel?

I have a 2011 Hyundai Accent GLS in Ice Blue. To see my problem:

1. Turn on the car.
  2. Sit in the driver’s seat.
  3. Turn the wheel slightly.

I hear a terrible squealing noise. Have you heard of this before or know what might be causing it?

1 Like

Ugh, that squealing sound can’t be fun. While I can’t diagnose car problems directly, I’ve heard that noise from friends’ cars before. It could be a few things: worn out serpentine belt, low power steering fluid, or maybe even something with a wheel bearing. Best bet is to take your Hyundai Accent (love the Ice Blue by the way) to a mechanic and have them check it out. They’ll be able to pinpoint the problem and get your car squeaking like a happy dolphin again

2 Likes

A squeal when turning the steering wheel often indicates issues like a worn-out power steering belt, low power steering fluid, or problems with the steering system components like the pump.

1 Like

You can check the steering fluid reservoir. Most engines have plastic canisters with a line on the side, so I believe it’s one of them.

Once I determined that it was low, I investigated for the source of the leak and discovered a dribble from the hose while the car was warm. I merely bought a hose from Amazon labeled for the car, put it on, and filled up the fluid. Overall, there were three bolts that were really difficult to reach. The job difficulty varies greatly depending on whether your hose is easily accessible.

1 Like

The most common cause is low or contaminated power steering fluid, which affects how the steering wheel feels and sounds. When the fluid that powers and lubricates the power steering system gets low or dirty, it can lead to a loud squealing noise that lasts as long as the wheel is turned. Checking and replacing the fluid may solve the problem, but if the noise persists it could indicate a failing power steering pump.

It is probably because of friction generated between the steering wheel housing and the interior trim or power steering failure.

It might be due to low power steering fluid levels, a worn-out power steering belt, or a malfunctioning power steering pump. I advice you to check the power steering fluid level first and inspect the condition of the belt for any signs of wear or cracks.