Why is my Hyundai vehicle losing oil without any leaks or smoke?

I bought a used Santa Fe Sport AWD in 2023 with 30,000 miles on it. I didn’t know that Hyundai cars had a known issue with burning oil.

After two oil changes, the oil light would come on after a few months, but there was no visible oil leak under the car. I could also hear the valves making noise when accelerating, like they weren’t getting enough oil.

Thinking it needed a tune-up, I took it in and got the spark plugs replaced on October 11th. By early December, the oil light came on again. When I checked the dipstick a week later, there was no oil left, but I didn’t see any leaks.

I googled the issue and found out this is a known problem. I contacted Hyundai and they sent me to a dealership. The dealership, without checking, said it was a piston ring issue—a known problem—but there was no recall. They told me I could either pay a lot for an oil consumption test and a new engine or keep checking the dipstick and adding oil.

I’ve seen others with the same issue who got Hyundai to do more. Can anyone provide more information or advice?

I know that many Hyundai vehicles experience excessive oil consumption due to worn-out piston rings and other factors. This can cause oil burning and low oil levels. It’s worth pursuing further with Hyundai for potential support or repairs.

Usually, leaking valves or piston rings are the source of burning oil. Verify that the dipstick’s oil level is proper. Find a spot to sit and let the car idle for a minute. Mash the gas after it has been idle for a minute. You burnt oil, big blue cloud. Both repairs are expensive.

A new engine is expensive; oil changes are inexpensive. Always obtain an oil change for half the price suggested by the manufacturer or dealership.