2009 Hyundai Azera Limited 3.8L - Oil Filter Core

We took our 2009 Azera to the mechanic for an oil change. After leaving the shop, my wife noticed the check engine light came on. I scanned it and found the following codes: P00011 and P00021. After some research, I found a post from a Hyundai mechanic regarding these errors.

Sure enough, my oil filter core and the relief valve that snaps into the top are missing. The post suggested that without the core, serious engine damage could occur. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Thank you.

2 Likes

The P0011 and P0021 codes in your 2009 Hyundai Azera indicate issues with the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system. P0011 denotes that the camshaft timing on Bank 1 is too advanced, whereas P0021 indicates that the intake camshaft timing is too advanced. Both can degrade engine efficiency and cause damage if not repaired. Furthermore, the missing oil filter core and relief valve are crucial; the filter keeps dirt out of the oil, while the valve regulates oil pressure. Without these, the engine may be damaged. Do not drive the automobile until these concerns have been rectified. Check the oil level, inspect the oil control valve (OCV), and consult a mechanic to replace missing parts and resolve any issues. Repairing these promptly will keep your car running smoothly.

I had the same issue with my 2006 Sonata LX after a discounted oil change. The oil light came on when idling, and I got error codes P0011 and P0021. The problem was that they had mistakenly removed the core/relief valve along with the old oil filter. This is likely what caused the issue.

Yes, the missing oil filter core and relief valve in your 2009 Azera is a serious issue. Without these components, the engine’s oil pressure cannot be regulated properly, leading to severe engine damage. It’s crucial to address this problem immediately. Contact the mechanic who performed the oil change and demand a full explanation and resolution. You may need to take your vehicle to a different mechanic for a thorough inspection and repairs.