Clicking noise when i try to start car

Hey everyone, I have a 2013 Tucson with 102k miles. Today, I noticed the key fob would not lock the car. I manually locked it by opening the car door and heard a clicking noise coming from the area under the steering wheel/fuse box. The clicking continued for a few seconds until I inserted the key and started the car, which worked fine. After turning off the car, the clicking stopped.

The door locked perfectly using the panel button inside, and the key fob worked fine when I unlocked the car later.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

1 Like

Your 2013 Tucson seems to be having some issues with the key fob, and here’s a breakdown to help you figure it out.

First, let’s talk about the battery. Think of your key fob as having a magic wand, powered by a small battery. If the wand is running out of energy, a simple battery change could bring it back to life, allowing you to lock and unlock your car again.

Next, under your car’s steering wheel, there’s a bunch of fuses and relays that manage the central locking system. If any of these components are malfunctioning, it might cause the lock button to stop working properly. Check your car’s manual or consult a mechanic to look into this.

Water can also cause problems if it gets into the fuse box area. Check for any signs of moisture or damaged wires, especially under the steering column where loose wires might be causing issues.

If you hear a clicking noise for 15-20 seconds, this could be due to the relays or actuators inside your car. These components help with locking and unlocking the doors, so if they’re not working right, they might need some attention or repair.

Finally, if you have a proximity key, the receiver module might be having trouble detecting it. This can prevent your car from recognizing the key properly, causing it to act up. Make sure the key is in good condition and the receiver module is functioning correctly.

It sounds like the actuator for your air flap.

The clicking noise is odd. It might be a door lock actuator or a temporary electrical glitch.

As an owner of a 2013 Tucson with 102k miles, I recently faced an issue where my key fob wouldn’t lock the car, prompting me to manually lock it. I noticed a clicking noise from under the steering wheel, which continued for a few seconds until I started the car, after which it stopped. Fortunately, the door lock worked perfectly from the inside panel, and the key fob functioned normally when I unlocked it later. This experience made me realize that sometimes minor electronic glitches can occur but often resolve themselves without major issues.