Exterior door handle replacement

Hey guys, Both handles on the front doors of my 2008 Sonata suddenly broke. I got original replacement parts for each and want to fix them myself. I’m not very experienced with fixing cars, except for basic stuff. So, I’m wondering if replacing these handles will be really hard for me to do on my own, especially if anyone who has done it before has any advice.

1 Like

Here’s a quick guide to replacing door handles on a 2008 Hyundai Sonata:

1. Ensure the car is off and doors unlocked. Open the hood to access the latch cables connected to the door handles.
  2. Locate and detach the latch cable from each handle using a small flathead screwdriver to remove the plastic clip or connector.
  3. Unscrew the mounting screws (usually 1-3) that secure the handle assembly to the door.
  4. Carefully remove the old handle assembly, watching for any attached wires or connectors.
  5. Disconnect any wiring harnesses from the old handle and connect them to the new handle, ensuring each wire matches the correct connector.
  6. Install the new handle by sliding it into place and securing it with the mounting screws.
  7. Reattach the latch cable to the handle, ensuring it clicks into the connector securely.
  8. Replace any trim pieces or panels removed during the process.

Repeat these steps for the other door handle. Test both handles to ensure they function correctly before wrapping up. This task is manageable with basic tools—just take your time and double-check connections. Let me know if you need further assistance!

This is a solid guide for replacing door handles on a 2008 Hyundai Sonata! You’ve clearly outlined each step, ensuring safety and accuracy throughout the process. Emphasizing the need to match each wire to the correct connector and securing all components properly is crucial for a successful replacement. Testing the handles before considering the job done is also great advice. Thanks for sharing such a detailed walkthrough!

1 Like

Hey @Barbara, am sorry to hear about your misfortune with your car.
You’ve mentioned that you’re not experienced with this complex stuff except for the basics.
I’ll suggest you leave it to the professionals then just so you don’t make any mistakes.