Fuel pump won't turn on with ignition

I’ve been scouring the forums for a solution to my problem but haven’t had any luck so far. I recently replaced the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator on my 2005 model (the setup with the pump, pressure regulator, and strainer all in the fuel pump assembly), and now the car won’t start. Clearly, I’ve done something wrong, but I’m not sure what it is.

Here’s some background: The car has been “loping” (lacking power during acceleration, especially with the AC on), so I thought the easiest fix might be either a) the fuel filter, but there isn’t one; or b) the fuel pump. Other than routine oil changes, the car has had no issues in its 110K miles until now.

I can hear the fuel pump cycle when I turn the key before ignition, and the car turns over on ignition.

2 Likes

It can be frustrating to spend time and effort replacing parts like the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator, only to find the car still won’t start. Based on your symptoms—the engine turns over but won’t start—several potential issues could be causing the problem.

First, check that the engine immobilizer system is not activated, as this could prevent the car from starting.

If the anti-theft or immobilizer light is flashing, the anti-theft system might be disabling the fuel pump. This issue could stem from a defective chip in the smart key, a dead battery in the keyless entry fob, or a fault in the anti-theft system itself.

You mentioned hearing the fuel pump cycling when you turn the key, indicating the fuel pump is likely working. Next, check the fuse in the engine compartment to ensure it hasn’t blown, as a blown fuse would prevent the car from starting. If the fuse is intact, the issue might involve the fuel pressure regulator or other components critical to engine starting, such as:

• Fuel pump relay
  • ECM (engine control module)
  • Crank or cam sensor
  • Battery
  • Spark plugs, ignition coils, or ignition switch
  • Starter motor

Additionally, check the fuel pressure to ensure it meets the required level. Inadequate pressure could result from a blocked fuel pump strainer, faulty pressure regulator, or contaminated fuel. Bleeding the fuel lines might help expel any trapped air.

But its good to consult the Expert

1 Like

Great insight… @TaraSimmons

It sounds like you’ve covered many bases. Since you can hear the fuel pump and the car turns over, check the electrical connections and fuel lines for issues. Also, consider the crank or cam sensor as potential culprits.

I understand what you are going through @BushnellRides the issue might be due to a blown fuse, a faulty relay, a bad fuel pump, or an issue with the wiring or ECM.

What you should do is check the fuse and relay first.

If they are fine, test the fuel pump and inspect the wiring.

If you see you can manage to check all that all you need to do now is to consult the mechanic for a solution

You Should visit your mechanic for the solution