Has anyone else been eyeing the 2019 Santa Fe but feeling a bit hesitant because of engine concerns?

Hey guys,

I’ve got my eye on a 2019 Santa Fe, but I’m feeling a bit worried about the Theta II GDI engine and the recent reports of failures and fires. I’m afraid that I might run into the same issues down the line with this vehicle. I’ve been exploring other options, but none of them really seem to match up to what the Santa Fe has to offer. I love the styling of it, but I can’t shake the feeling that they’re still using those Theta II engines from the same factory in Alabama.

Do you think this concern is valid?

Anybody else feeling the same way?

2 Likes

I have a 2019 Santa Fe LWB that I bought about a month ago. I’ve noticed the engine surges or hesitates, mostly when it’s cold. This happens between 1500 and 2000 RPMs while going uphill with light throttle. It’s not enough throttle to make it downshift, but just enough to stay in the same gear. This usually happens at speeds around 30-40 MPH. I asked the service manager at my local dealership, and he said it’s because the torque converter stays locked, causing the engine to feel like it’s struggling. I’m planning to take it back to show them the issue and make sure we’re talking about the same thing. Meanwhile, has anyone else experienced this with their late model Santa Fe with the V6?

I have a 2019 Santa Fe with the 2.4 liter engine, and it’s been solid. It’s clocked 40,000 miles without any issues so far.

hi bro It’s ultimately your call whether to purchase a 2019 Santa Fe. By thoughtfully evaluating the possible engine issues and implementing measures to reduce risks, you can enhance your confidence in your decision.