How Much Does a New Alternator for a Hyundai Typically Cost?

How Much Does a New Alternator for a Hyundai Typically Cost?

Hi Everyone,

I’m new here, this is my first post. I’ve owned a 2011 Santa Fe V6 LE since 2016, and recently it’s been giving me a lot of trouble. The latest issue caused the car to suddenly stop on the road. The dashboard lights were flashing, dimming, and eventually went out. I managed to get it to a nearby mechanic, and he informed me that it needs a new alternator. However, his quote was $900, which includes the cost of the new alternator, labor, and tax. This seems quite high to me, especially since a quick Google search shows that most alternators are in the $250-500 range. Am I being overcharged? He’s not my regular mechanic because I had limited options on where to take the car.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue and replaced their alternator? I’m in Canada, so perhaps the higher cost is due to that, but the difference seems substantial.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

It might not be directly helpful, but my original 2007 Santa Fe 3.3L experienced an alternator failure just about two months ago. You’re right about the replacement prices; quotes range from $800 to $1300 USD. As a DIY mechanic, I decided to take on the task and purchased a rebuilt alternator online for around $150. However, it took me about 2-3 days because of its location. I had to remove both cooling fans and drill an access hole in the inner fender to release the tensioner bolt, but I eventually managed to install it. After installation, the car started fine, but then my radiator began to leak, so I ended up replacing that along with both cooling hoses. If you’re mechanically inclined, you should be able to handle it. There are several instructional videos on YouTube that can guide you through the process.

Good luck! By the way, there are multiple online parts sources available like carid.com, carparts.com and many more.

1 Like

As a business, you can’t truly buy parts from online sources since the quality is unpredictable, and they’re a warranty nightmare. I’m not claiming that never happens, but only under exceptional circumstances.

I’m assuming the shop’s alternator costs $200-300, and after their markup, it’s around $400-500.

No technician in their right mind would take a chance on a Rockauto alternator to save $50.