How Much Does It Cost to Get a Spare Key?

Hey guys, I recently got a used 2016 Sonata with a flip key, and I’m thinking about getting a spare just in case I do something dumb and lose it. I checked with the dealer, and they quoted me around $150 for a spare key, which is a bit more than I was expecting.

I’m wondering if it would be cheaper to buy an uncut and unprogrammed key from eBay and then get it working myself. Any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks!

2 Likes

You know, some locksmiths actually have the gear to program the car’s computer to accept a new key fob, so it might be worth calling around to see if you can find one in your area.

But honestly, $150 isn’t too shabby these days for all that - buying the key, cutting it, and programming the car to sync up with it.

1 Like

Just got a 2016 Sonata with a flip key, and the dealer’s $150 spare key price tag seems a bit steep. Thinking about a cheaper option - buying an uncut key online and getting it programmed myself. Any thoughts or advice on this approach?

1 Like

Look for a reputable seller with good reviews to buy an uncut, unprogrammed key. Make sure the key is compatible with your 2016 Hyundai Sonata.