Hyundai Santa Fe oil type

I purchased a new 2023 Santa Fe Calligraphy AWD Portofino Gray and tan leather interior a few months ago. I love the car.

I was looking online about oil for the 2.5T engine. The manual says use 0w30 oil. I haven’t called the dealership yet to find out what they use. My last car (2019 Genesis G70 3.3T) used Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and I have 15 unused quarts left over from when I sold it.

The metro DC area where I live has all seasons ranging from the rare 10 degrees F in the winter (average probably 35-40 degrees) to the rare 100 degrees F in the summer (average probably 85-90 degrees).

Will using Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 be an issue? Will using it void the warranty?

Thanks!

1 Like

Using 5W-30 oil in your 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 2.5T engine should not cause any issues and will not void your warranty.

Here are some factors you need to consider please:

• While the owner’s manual specifies 0W-30, the important thing is using an oil that meets the required specifications for your engine (in this case, SN Plus rated oil). 5W-30 is a multi-grade oil that provides adequate lubrication in both cold and hot operating temperatures.
  • Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is a high-quality full synthetic oil that exceeds the SN Plus specification required by Hyundai. Major brands like Pennzoil formulate their oils to work well in a wide range of vehicles.
  • The temperature range you described in the DC area is well within what 5W-30 oil can handle. It’s not extremely cold or hot. 0W-30 may provide slightly better fuel economy in very cold weather, but the difference would be negligible.
  • Automakers often list a specific viscosity oil in manuals as a recommendation, not a requirement. Using the correct specification is what matters, not necessarily the exact weight.

So in summary, I wouldn’t hesitate to use up your Pennzoil 5W-30. Just be sure to follow the normal oil change interval schedule. Let the service department know what oil you’re using if you have any other questions. But it should not cause any reliability or warranty issues. Hope this helps provide some reassurance!

1 Like

The recommended oil type for a Hyundai Santa Fe can vary depending on the model year, engine type, and driving conditions. However, Hyundai typically recommends using synthetic motor oil that meets the API (American Petroleum Institute) service classification of SN or higher.

For specific guidance, it’s best to refer to the owner’s manual for your Hyundai Santa Fe. The manual will provide the manufacturer’s recommendations for oil viscosity and specifications, ensuring that you use the correct type of oil for your vehicle. If you’re unsure or have any questions, consulting with a qualified mechanic or contacting a Hyundai dealership can also provide you with accurate information.