I just bought a CPO Santa Fe, so am I in the lemon situation?

Looking for advice on an issue with our recently purchased CPO Santa Fe Limited. The vehicle intermittently has limited throttle range, like it’s in limp mode.

I’ve brought it to the dealer twice. The first time, they just scanned it and told us to let it start properly before driving. The second time, they replaced the engine wiring harness, saying it was fixed.

This weekend, the problem happened again. We’re within 90 days of purchase and live in NY. The car had 18k miles at purchase.

What should I ask the dealer now, and do I qualify for the NY lemon law, as this will be the third time addressing the issue?

2 Likes

Hi Puck… Since your CPO Santa Fe Limited is still experiencing intermittent throttle issues despite two trips to the dealer, it’s important to document all interactions and repairs thoroughly. On your third visit, inform the dealer that this is a recurring problem and request a comprehensive diagnostic beyond just scanning the vehicle, including checking the throttle system, sensors, and ECU. Speak with the service manager and mention that you are aware of the New York lemon law, which may entitle you to a replacement or refund if the issue persists after three repair attempts. If the problem isn’t resolved, consider consulting a lemon law attorney for further assistance.

2 Likes

It seems like an ECU problem. A code should have been returned by the OBD scan they should have performed if they had replaced the engine harness. Lemon it or try a different dealership one more time.

2 Likes

It sounds like the catalytic converter is clogged based on how you described it.

2 Likes

@Dipna The car runs normally when I put it in park, turn it off, and then start it up again. Could this be a problem with the catalytic converter?

2 Likes