Looking for Advice—Potential Engine Issue in Recently Purchased 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT

I’m a first-time car buyer, and three months ago, I financed a 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT with 62k miles. I was in a hurry to get a vehicle due to an issue with another car, and this Elantra was the most affordable option within my criteria: newer than 2015 and under 80k miles, and within my budget.

Fast forward to now, with 65,134 miles on the odometer. The car has been a smooth ride so far, but I’m concerned about potential engine issues. Sometimes, when the car is idling in park, I feel slight vibrations or shaking. It’s not happening while driving, so I haven’t been overly concerned, but it’s something I’ve noticed.

Yesterday, while idling with the AC on low during my lunch break, the car started shaking noticeably when I was about to shift into reverse. I hadn’t even touched the shifter yet. The shaking didn’t stop until I restarted the car, and then it was fine. I didn’t hear any unusual engine noises like knocking or squealing.

This car has the 2.0L Nu GDi 4-cylinder engine, not the sport trim with the turbo. I’ve read that this engine can be occasionally problematic, and I’m worried I might be facing the “GDi blues.” I’ve scheduled a service appointment for an oil change because the oil looks dirty, and the sticker they put on before I bought the car indicates they might have used the wrong type of oil.

My plan is to start with an oil change, as I know this can sometimes help with rough idling. I’m also considering replacing the spark plugs and inspecting the fuel filter, although I’m aware the fuel filter is inside the fuel pump, which I can’t easily access.

My questions are:

1. Does my assessment sound accurate to anyone with experience with this model or engine?
  2. Is this a common issue with the 2.0L Nu GDi engine or with this specific Elantra GT?
  3. Should I be worried about more significant issues, like needing a new engine?

I’m really tight on money right now—I have less than $200 until next week, so I can’t afford any major repairs or even spark plugs immediately. If I needed a new engine or major repairs, I’m not sure what I’d do. I live in a rural area, and my job is 20 miles away, so losing my car would likely mean losing my job too.

Is it possible to trade this car in, even though I just bought it, if it comes to that? What should I do in this situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The vibration and shaking you’re describing can be caused by a few things, and it’s good that you’re taking it seriously.

The 2.0L Nu GDi engine does have a reputation for some issues, but not all cars experience them.

It’s possible that the dirty oil and maybe even the wrong oil type are contributing to the problem. Starting with an oil change is a good first step.

While spark plugs and fuel filters can affect engine performance, they’re less likely to cause the symptoms you’re describing. Focus on the oil change first.

Many issues can be resolved with less drastic measures. However, it’s always good to be prepared for the worst-case scenario.

Trading in a car so soon can be difficult, but it might be an option if the repairs are too costly. You could explore selling the car privately, which might give you more money, but it will take more time and effort.

If the problem persists, you might need to investigate further. Consider getting a second opinion from a trusted mechanic.

Hello enthusiasts
Follow your vehicle’s suggested maintenance schedule to avoid future problems.
Quality parts: If repairs are required, use high-quality parts to guarantee that your engine remains in good working order.
Warranty: If your vehicle is still under warranty, check to see if the issue is covered.