Revised Settlement Terms for Hyundai/Kia Theft Class Action Lawsuit: What Compensation is Available for Insured Individuals?

Today, I got an email from a law firm handling a lawsuit against Hyundai & Kia for car thefts. The email said a federal judge approved a preliminary agreement. My Hyundai was stolen and wrecked a year ago. But I’m not sure how much money I can get because my insurance already paid for my stolen car.

The law firm’s FAQ says if your car gets stolen, you should file a police report. The settlement might give you money if your insurance didn’t cover everything. It says they might pay up to 60% of your car’s value from a book called the Black Book. They might also pay for taxes, fees, and other costs if you need a new car.

But I’m confused because the email from the law firm says insured owners might get almost all their money back. That seems different from what the FAQ says.

So, I’m not sure if I can get any money from this settlement. Can I still get money for taxes and fees for a new car? What about the extra money I have to pay for a new car now? My monthly payments are higher, and I was close to finishing paying off my stolen Hyundai.

I hope I’m not misunderstanding everything.

What a mess! Classic case of big corporations trying to skirt responsibility and leave innocent consumers high and dry. Solidarity with you and all the other victims of this shameful debacle.

1. Contact the Law Firm: They can explain exactly what you might get from the settlement based on your situation.
  2. Good News! Even though insurance covered your stolen car, the settlement might give you money back for extras like taxes, registration fees, and even some help towards a new car (depending on the details).
  3. Heads Up: The settlement probably won’t cover the difference in price between your old car and a new one, nor the higher monthly payments. That stinks, but hopefully, the extra money will help ease the burden.