Someone help 2016 Santa Fe throwing out code p0014 and p0087

Hello everyone, I’m experiencing some issues with my Santa Fe that I could use some help with. Lately, it’s been intermittently going into limp mode after driving uphill. When I checked the codes, I found P0014 and P0087.

P0014 indicates that the engine control module (ECM) has detected that the bank 1 exhaust camshaft is more advanced than it should be according to the ECM’s commands.

I’m not entirely sure what this means, and I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed and concerned, especially since my girlfriend relies on the car for her daily commute. While the car is under warranty, the dealerships are booked weeks in advance. Any advice or insights into this issue would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Those error codes (P0014 and P0087) point to an issue with the timing system for the camshafts and timing belt. It seems like the camshaft is out of sync with what the computer expects. Basically the engine computer (ECM) is detecting that the camshaft on one bank (probably the passenger side) is out of sync with what it’s supposed to be doing. This can cause performance issues like limp mode. Call the dealership.

1 Like

For me I suggest taking your Santa Fe to a trustworthy mechanic or your local dealership for a comprehensive diagnosis and repair. They can provide personalized attention to your vehicle and use their expertise to pinpoint the exact issues it’s facing. This way, you can ensure your Santa Fe receives the care and attention it needs to get back on the road safely and smoothly. :hugs:

1 Like

Hello there! I’m sorry to hear about the issues you’re experiencing with your Santa Fe. The error codes P0014 and P0087 you’ve mentioned can indeed be concerning, but let’s break them down.

Starting with P0014, this code indicates a problem with the exhaust camshaft on bank 1 of the engine. Specifically, it suggests that the camshaft’s timing is not in sync with the engine control module’s (ECM) commands. This could be caused by a variety of factors, including issues with the timing chain, camshaft phaser, or sensors.

As for P0087, this code points towards a fuel system issue, specifically low fuel pressure. This could be due to a faulty fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, or fuel filter.

Given that your Santa Fe is still under warranty, it’s great that you have that coverage. However, I understand the frustration of not being able to get an appointment at the dealership right away.

In the meantime, it might be worth checking a few things yourself if you’re comfortable doing so. For instance, ensuring that the oil levels are adequate and there are no leaks around the camshaft position sensors could be a good start. However, if you’re not confident in your abilities or if the issue seems more complex, it’s best to wait for the dealership’s assessment.

Additionally, you may want to consider reaching out to Hyundai’s customer service or warranty department to see if they can expedite your appointment or provide alternative solutions.

I hope this information helps alleviate some of your concerns, and I wish you the best of luck in getting your Santa Fe back on the road safely for your girlfriend’s daily commute

1 Like

Hey, those codes P0014 and P0087 on your 2016 Santa Fe point to an issue with both your engine’s exhaust and fuel systems. P0014 means the camshaft timing for exhaust valves might be off, and P0087 indicates low fuel pressure. This could be due to a faulty sensor, clogged fuel filter, weak fuel pump, or even problems with the camshaft itself. It’s important to get this checked out by a mechanic, as these issues can affect your engine’s performance and fuel economy.