What causes vibration during acceleration in a Hyundai?

Hey team, I need some advice. My 2016 Sonata Limited with 117k miles has started vibrating a lot when I accelerate. It’s getting pretty bad, my seat shakes like crazy, and the front end visibly moves back and forth. I suspect it might be the motor mounts, but do you guys have any other ideas on what could be wrong? I’ve already replaced the tires and did the brakes about a month ago. I have a dealership appointment, but it’s nearly a month away, and I don’t think I can wait that long. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

My car did the same thing when the engine overheated and burned out the spark plugs. Just to be clear, I’m not a mechanic, just a very frustrated Hyundai Sonata owner. Check if it’s burning excessive oil. Hyundai might not fix the problem, but it’s good for you to know if there’s a defect in your vehicle.

1 Like

Yes, when you accelerate, the CV joints on your axles can cause vibrations. Make sure to inspect all front-end suspension components like control arms, ball joints, strut mounts, sway bar links, axles, and motor mounts. Since this car is front-wheel drive, acceleration puts torque on the entire front end, and any loose components can lead to vibrations.

There was a recent case where a member replaced their axles with aftermarket ones due to worn CV joints, but this caused vibrations during acceleration. It wasn’t until they switched back to Hyundai OEM axles that the issue resolved.

It is definitely a suspension issue like an axle, wheel bearing or rack and pinion. Not sure without looking at it.

Hello Dolph,
Several factors can lead to vibrations during acceleration in a Hyundai, affecting various vehicle components. Here are common reasons:

Unbalanced Tires: Uneven weight distribution in tires can cause vibration that intensifies faster.
Loose Lug Nuts: Improperly tightened lug nuts may result in wheel looseness and shaking during acceleration.
Damaged Rims: Bent or warped rims can produce vibrations similar to those caused by unbalanced tires.

Worn or damaged CV joints or axles can cause vibrations, especially during acceleration. Check for torn CV boots and any grease leakage around the joints.

Problems with the transmission, such as worn or damaged components, can cause vibrations

It is definitely broken wheel rims, out-of-round tires, misaligned wheels, and deteriorating shock struts.