What to Check After Auto Body Repair?

Hey everyone,

I was unfortunately involved in my first accident a month ago—my 2023 Sonata N Line was rear-ended at a red light. Thankfully, I’m okay!

I took it to the auto body shop, and they said it needed a new rear bumper and trunk. One of the blind spot sensors was also shifted, causing it to pick up a lot of false alerts, likely due to the impact.

After 3 weeks, I’m supposed to get my car back tomorrow. They mentioned that during calibration, one of the sensors was still off, so they ordered a new one and are installing it.

What should I be checking to make sure everything is 100% okay? I’m worried I might miss something and only notice an issue later. Any advice on what to test or look for when I get my car back would be greatly appreciated!

When you pick up your car, carefully inspect the rear bumper and trunk for any damage or misalignment.

Check that the blind spot sensors are working correctly by testing them in a quiet area.

Look for any other visible damage, such as scratches or dents, and take your car for a test drive to ensure it handles properly and doesn’t make any unusual noises.

I would check to see how nicely the front was fitting. indicating gaps that appear wider at the seams or gaps that weren’t present before. Paint-wise, unless you have a clear coat tool, as long as it is smooth to the touch and doesn’t seem orange peelish, should be good. Anything that occurs after you purchase the car, like paint peeling or other issues should be covered, but if you discover a scratch or dent later, it generally won’t be fixed. I just finished using my Kia through this before exchanging it for a nline. Just make sure it is a reputable body shop with a reputable body mechanic, and before you leave, give it a thorough inspection.

Verify that the trunk is not experiencing any water leaks.