Why does my car start shaking when parked

I have a 2017 Elantra that’s been acting up recently. About a month ago, it started shaking intermittently, with the RPM suddenly increasing and the car shaking. This issue went away for two weeks but then came back. Today, it happened while I was on the highway, the car started shaking, and the check engine light came on, but the light went off once the shaking stopped.

I have seen others with similar issues, and I am wondering if anyone has figured out the cause or solution. My guess is a faulty gas pump/filter or faulty injectors. I will be taking it to the dealership on the 11th of next month, which was the earliest available slot. what do you think could be the problem?

best option is If you’re unsure about diagnosing the issue on your own, it’s advisable to bring your car to a mechanic for inspection. They can identify the problem and suggest the most appropriate solution.

Miss firing could be the cause.Have it scanned to check for any codes related to defective fuel pressure, injectors, or spark plugs.

Your car shaking a little at idle isn’t usually a big deal, especially for older vehicles. But if the shaking is really bad or there are other problems, then it might be something you need to get checked. Here are some things that could be causing the shaking: loose gas cap, loose battery cables, worn throttle sensor, messed up engine mount, or dead spark plugs.

Possible Causes:

1. Faulty Spark Plugs or Ignition Coils: Worn spark plugs or malfunctioning ignition coils can cause misfires, resulting in shaking and erratic RPMs. This is a common issue leading to these symptoms.
  2. Fuel System Issues: Problems such as a clogged fuel filter, faulty fuel pump, or dirty fuel injectors can restrict fuel flow. This restriction causes hesitation, shaking, and inconsistent engine performance, making a fuel system issue a plausible cause.
  3. Vacuum Leak: An intake system leak allows unmetered air into the engine, disrupting the air-fuel mixture and causing rough running conditions.
  4. Sensor Issues: Malfunctioning sensors like the mass airflow sensor (MAF) or crankshaft position sensor (CPS) can send incorrect signals to the engine’s computer. This can result in performance issues such as rough idling and fluctuations in RPM.

Check Engine Light:

The check engine light illuminating and then turning off is significant. Even though it’s currently off, the car’s computer likely stored a trouble code that can provide valuable diagnostic information.

Here’s What You Can Do:

1. Wait for the Dealership Appointment: While waiting for your appointment, monitor if the shaking and RPM fluctuations worsen. Note the frequency and specific conditions under which these symptoms occur (e.g., cold starts, specific RPM ranges).
  2. Consider Using a Code Reader: Purchasing a basic OBD-II code reader allows you to retrieve the stored trouble code yourself. This code can offer valuable insights to the mechanic when diagnosing the issue.
  3. Document Details: Before your appointment, document all observed symptoms, including shaking episodes, RPM variations, and the behavior of the check engine light. This comprehensive information will assist the mechanic in diagnosing the problem accurately.

Additional Tips:

• Avoid Aggressive Driving: If the shaking is severe, refrain from driving the vehicle until it has been inspected by a mechanic.
  • Monitor Gas Mileage: Keep track of your gas mileage, especially if you suspect a fuel system issue. A sudden decrease in mileage could indicate a problem with fuel delivery.

Clogged Air Filter: A significantly filthy or clogged air filter reduces airflow, lowering combustion efficiency and creating shaking. Consider replacing or cleaning your air filter.