Why is the check engine light on my Hyundai flashing?

As the title says, my check engine light comes on and flashes.

I’ve looked into why this happens, and it seems related to the exhaust system. If I keep driving like this, it could harm the catalytic converter (which I don’t really get because I’m not great with cars).

Also, the engine shakes a lot. I can feel it vibrating when I’m in the car. Any ideas?

1 Like

The CEL flashing indicates a misfire and the risk of destroying the catalytic converter. After restarting, the CEL will remain steady until the ECU detects a misfire again.

I believe your flashing CEL is caused by an issue with the ignition system rather than a leaking exhaust or inlet.

Hi Donna… It sounds like your vehicle is experiencing significant issues that need immediate attention. The flashing check engine light typically indicates a severe problem, often related to the engine misfiring, which can indeed lead to damage to the catalytic converter if not addressed promptly. The shaking or vibrating sensation you feel while driving is likely caused by the engine misfiring, which can be due to various reasons such as faulty spark plugs, ignition coils, or fuel system issues. It’s crucial to have your vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic as soon as possible to diagnose the specific issue causing the misfire and the flashing check engine light. Continuing to drive in this condition could potentially worsen the damage and lead to more costly repairs.

Your Hyundai’s blinking check engine light indicates a major problem, most likely an engine misfire. This indicates that your engine’s cylinders aren’t firing correctly, which is allowing unburned fuel to reach the exhaust system.

Hyundai Check Engine Light Flashing
Common reasons for a flashing Check Engine Light include a faulty emissions control part, a damaged head gasket, a malfunction in the fuel injection system, a dirty mass airflow sensor, a damaged oxygen sensor, or defective spark plugs, among others.

Get it to the shop right away. That sort of happened to me…but not with the tyre. It could be related to a recall for specific engines. My spouse was a 2015 Sportsman.

The Check Engine Light often flashes due to various reasons, such as a faulty emissions control part, damaged head gasket, fuel injection system malfunction, dirty mass airflow sensor, damaged oxygen sensor, or defective spark plugs, among other potential issues.